This page provides links to a range of readings and resources that may be useful to anyone considering changes to the traditional classroom spaces that are found in schools.
Background and research
- LeARN Learning Environments Applied Research – Leading research linked with industry and government to improve learning environments from the University of Melbourne. Their publications page has links to a number of current research findings.
- Work scoping study – ILEs and student experience – In 2021-22, LEaRN ran a unique, international, cross-industry scoping study asking ‘What innovative learning environment research should be the next priority?’ Their newsletters have plenty of key findings included.
- The OECD Handbook for Innovative Learning Environments – “If there has been one lesson learnt about innovating education, it is that teachers, schools and local administrators should not just be involved in the implementation of educational change but they should have a central role in its design.”
- What makes a learning environment modern? – blog post from the FutureMakers site
- Innovating to create 21st Century Learning Environments – blog post from the FutureMakers site
- Future focused innovative learning environments – NZCER research publication
Case studies and examples
- Modern Learning Environments – part of a series from ERO titled Improvement in Action Te Ahu Whakamua. They created this series to inspire schools with examples of success in action. (this one features a case study video from Stonefields Primary School)
- Play-based learning at Halswell PS – story of the adoption of play-based learning approaches in a school that was completely rebuilt after the CHCH earthquakes. (Pt. 2 here)
- Case studies, research and other sources – curated list from the NZ MoE
- Three NZ Case Studies – from the CORE website, written by Mark Osborne
Pedagogy, inclusion, agency
- Pedagogy and Space – Publication by Kenn Fisher from Australia. Great graphical representations of the design considerations to align the design of physical spaces with the pedagogical approaches taking place within them.
- Innovative Learning Environments – curated site of links, resources and case studies on TKI.
- Does a MLE suit all learners? – a blog post from the FutureMakers site
Planning for an ILE
- Innovative Learning Environment Matrix – tool to help leaders to design and implement innovative learning environments that best support ākonga – developed with Mark Osborne in 2013
- Planning Innovative Learning Environments – focus on links with pedagogy and inclusive practices
- UNESCO – reimagining learning space for uncertain times – plus series of links to articles about post-pandemic learning space design