I’m in Melbourne at present, attending some of the !dea workshops on interoperability and standards.
Today I’m at the Open Technical Forum >/a> listening to a number of presentations from people such as Scott Wilson speaking about Service Oriented Architectures for eLearning.
Some key thoughts from the opening address….
1 – Emerging trends in eLearning:
- migration towards a component-based/service oriented architecture
- insitutionalisation of eLearning – eLearning is here to stay – no longer on the periphery, it is now a part of the way we do things.
- shift from provider focus to end user focus in the area of instructional design
- shift from using internal measures of progress/success of eLearning to external measures – “how has this met the needs of the users?”
2 – on the “to Do” list for eLearning practitioners
- improve the overall adaptability and usability of the technology
- extend capability to incorporate new pedagogical methods into eLearning systems (eg simulations etc)
- more adaptable to real-time needs of learners
- clear migration paths for organisations to grow from where they are now